It’s been a long day, and you just got home from school or work. You change your clothes, turn on the lights, and then open the refrigerator door to find something to eat. That’s when it happens. The lights flicker once, twice, and then they go off. You are left with nothing to do and no way to accomplish any computer tasks until the electricity comes back on.
Life comes to a standstill without electricity. The thought of one night spent without it running your home is an awful event to get through for most people. This discomfort, coupled with a legitimate fear of fire from uncontrolled electricity, drives a need to be vigilant in keeping up with the state of your electrical systems.
Common but Serious Situations
Serious situations to watch out for in your home or business are wiring overload, wiring overheating, or damaged wires. Lymington electricians can help you fix these situations once identified. There are multiple signs to know of and watch for that will help to alert you to potentially hazardous or faulty wiring.
- Burn marks on outlets and plugs
- Walls or cords that are warm or hot to the touch
- Flickering lights
- Tripping circuit breakers
- Worn or damaged wires
What to do
If, upon inspection, you see any of these signs, call a professional. Professionals are skilled and certified in handling electricity. The damage caused by electricity is something to take very seriously and can even mean death.