Why You Shouldn’t Replace New Shingles Over Old Ones
There are many reasons why you might want to replace your roof. Your home might be damaged by storms or you live in an area that is subject to severe storms. You may just be looking to improve the exterior of your home, or perhaps your roof is leaking and old.
You have the option to have your old roofing shingles removed when you install new roofing. However, installing shingles on top of the existing ones has its cons and benefits. It has two main benefits: it saves money on removal and disposal costs, and the additional layers reduce the likelihood of moisture entering the shingles and causing leaks.
KCG Roofing outlines the disadvantages and benefits of installing a new roof over an existing one.
1. Your warranty may be void if you violate it.
2. Roof Shingles will cool faster, which will impact their durability.
3. Double shingles can increase the heat in a house, causing it to be uncomfortable. This can lead to higher cooling costs.
4. Telegraphing is when new shingles stick to older ones. It has its disadvantages. This is more common when asphalt shingles have been installed on top of the wood. Runoff can cause friction in uneven areas and damage to those areas.
5. Your new roof tiles will be less likely to sustain damage from hailstorms and strong winds. You can save money by simply removing the old shingles and replacing them with newer ones.
6. Shingles that are installed on top of old roofing have less support which makes them more susceptible to wind uplift and damage.
Before making a decision, consult local roofing professionals in the Bay area. KCG Roofing will help you make the right decision.
This post was written by a roofing professional at KCG Roofing. KCG Roofing is a premier roofing contractor that does Bradenton roofing! KCG Roofing has the experience and expertise to replace or repair your roof with quality materials and excellent craftsmanship. All our roofs are backed by a 15-year leak-free guarantee, the highest in the industry. We have been family-owned and operated for over 40 years.